Monday, April 18, 2005

Book Report

As promised, here is a list of children's books that I adore. I either read them now, or read them as a child. Feel free to add your own choices in the comments!

*Harry Potter (can't wait for #5 to come out 7/16!)-J.K. Rowling

*The Thunder Pup-Janet Hickman

*Encyclopedia Brown Series

*Bridge to Terabithia

*Little House on the Prairie Series-Laura Ingalls Wilder

*Hatchet

*Where The Red Fern Grows

*Summer of the Monkeys

*Island of the Blue Dolphins

*The Secret Garden

*Bobbsey Twins Series

*Nancy Drew Series

*Choose Your Own Adventure Series

*Babysitters Club Series

*Anything Judy Blume writes

*The Ramona Series-Beverly Cleary

*Anastasia Krupnik Series

*To Kill A Mockingbird-Harper Lee

*Charlotte's Web-E.B. White

*Little Women-Louisa May Alcott

*Diary of Anne Frank

*Anything written by Lois Lowry

*The Velveteen Rabbit

*Sweet Valley High Series

I'm sure there's much more that I can't think of at the moment, but maybe you can jog my memory. See, my love of books is just one of the reasons I'm going to be a librarian. I can't wait to influence young people to read, and get enjoyment out of the written word.

3 comments:

Sara said...

You will be a wonderful librarian!

I love so many of these. My 4th graders and I always read "Number the Stars", by Lois Lowry. Gets me (and them) everytime.

And I am also a HUGE Harry fan.

The Singing Butler said...

1) A Little Princess. Riches to rags to riches, and with lots of good morals.

2) I can't believe you didn't include any Roald Dahl books! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach, The Twits (always hated them), The BFG, The Witches...I could go on. His short stories for adults are great too.

3) You may not have heard of Paul Jennings - he's the Australian author of lots of short story collections (Uncanny, Unbelievable, Unreal, Unmentionable, etc etc). His stories range from crazy and funny to tragic and thought-provoking. My favorite is "Clear as Mud" from Undone. He really encourages kids to get into reading, but not in a corny way; check out his books and you'll see what I mean.

Sorry for leaving such a long comment :D

The Singing Butler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.