Saturday, November 11, 2006

Fears

In the time before you adopted/gave birth to your child(ren) did you ever find yourself afraid that you would regret giving up your "alone" time with yourself or your spouse?

This is something I've been worried about lately. It's mostly stemmed from the relief I feel when my time babysitting my little sisters or my niece and nephew are up. I enjoy being with them, but it's exhausting, and I'm glad when I can retreat home. Yet, I still have the longing in my heart to have a child of my own. I see children out in public and wonder what my child will look or act like; so you see how this could cause a conflict. I also enjoy the time Jake and I get to spend together, especially now that he's home on weekends. Just snuggling in bed, watching t.v., brings me the greatest satisfaction imaginable. And after 11 years alone together, are we fully prepared to have a third person in our little family?

How do you find that balance? How do you make time for yourself, your spouse, and your children? I'm sure what I have are "pre-adoption jitters", because I have a stupid idea in my head that I have to be the most perfect parent imaginable, and various worries like this one keep playing in my head. I'm a chronic worrier about *everything*, so I'm sure this is just another thing I've blown out of proportion in my head. However, I would really like the perspective out there of anyone else who may have experienced or are experiencing something similar. I have to know that I'm not alone in what I'm feeling. Please, anyone?

2 comments:

Tiff said...

You are not alone, I have been having the same worries. Fun stuff. :(

Aimee said...

Well, Audrey pretty much summed it up lol!

I am having the same fears. Fears that I wont be able to just go whenever I please, fears of knowing I have to get a baby ready and still shower and get ready myself in the morning. It is VERY scary! But in the end, loving my baby boy and being able to experience motherhood is a gift I wouldnt trade for the world.

When you and Jake finally get your baby, even though the fears dont go away, you will work through them and just be the best parents you can be!